T5 vs. Orphek PR72 LED Pendant
Yesterday we ran another T5 vs. LED comparison but this time we put the T5 lighting up against another Orphek product. This time we compared the existing T5 lighting to that of the Orphek PR72. This exhibit is about 200 gallons at the same public aquarium. Below is a short video that was shot with an iphone 4. After the break we will post another video clip of the 55,000 gallon display with the Orphek DIF-100 pendant.
ABOUT THE ORPHEK PR72 LED PENDANT:
The Orphek PR72 Reef LED Pendant is a member of the new PR72 family of LED Pendants. Its design goal was to aid hobbyists in growing beautiful corals in medium sized aquariums or larger systems when multiple units are used, and coral fragment tanks without relying on energy wasting metal halide or low PAR fluorescent tubes.
The LEDs were selected from the same LED bins used for the PR156XP fixture to duplicate the PUR lighting spectrum which is beneficial and necessary for growing corals, clams, and marine plants. The highly efficient Meanwell LED Drivers use on the PR156XP and DIF series pendants are used here as well, no shortcuts were taken. The PR72 Reef LED Pendant will produce High PAR/PUR levels. The pendants offer plenty of PAR/PUR for growing all types of corals because the light energy is concentrated on the needed and desirable PUR spectrum while eliminating LEDs that emit non-essential wavelengths.
The PR72 Reef LED Pendant is a plug and play and the dimmable Meanwell LED Driver allows us to configure the PR72 to interface with most digital controllers currently on the market. The pendant includes a cable with an RJ45 connector for direct hook up to an Apex Variable Speed/Dimming Module (VDM). The RJ45 plug can also be removed allowing connection to interface boards with + and – terminals.
The LED make up chart above closely duplicates the ratio of LEDs in our PR156XP Pendant.
The one piece fin shaped combination aluminum housing and heat sink rapidly dissipates heat from the LEDs while eliminating excessive heat into your aquarium. The Mean Well LED Driver is remotely located to further minimize heat in the LED housing which helps ensure the LEDs will have a long life span.
- Highest PAR per watt.
- 36 high power LEDs tuned to the PUR spectrum to provide excellent coral and clam growth.
- Maximizes natural colors of corals and clams.
- Meanwell dimmable driver for improved efficiency and longevity.
- UV and wide spectrum red, white and blue LEDs duplicate the PUR spectrum and giving an 16,000K -18,000K appearance.
- Replaces energy wasting incandescent, fluorescent, and metal halide lighting.
- Low energy use, typically 30% – 50% less than other lighting technology
- Aluminum finned heat sink effectively dissipates heat from the LEDs ensuring long life of the electronics.
- Length: 14.9”(380mm)
- Diameter: 6.7”(170mm)
- Weight: 2.2 pounds(1 kilogram)
- Power cable: 70.8 inches(1.8m)
- Input voltage: 80-264 volts AC
- Frequency: 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption: 66-70 watts
- Power factor: .97
- Power supply: Mean Well LED Driver
- Dimming capability: Yes, with Apex, Reefkeeper, and other digital controllers.