Aqua Illumination’s Wireless Controller just got better
Here’s some exciting news from Aqua Illumination regarding their new wireless controller. After listening to customer feedback and suggestions, Aqua Illumination recently announced the release of a major revision to their New Controller firmware that I happened to install yesterday over our new Vega reef tank. This new update offers a long list of new options, including support for the custom AI PowerPucks (coming out in the near future – more on that in a later article), wireless operation for SOL and Nano modules using the wireless adapter, a global regional timer to mimic sunrise/sunset times of major coral reefs, and much more. This firmware update is, of course, free to everyone who owns the New Controller and it is currently available to download from the AquaIllumination website.
One of the slickest features we like are the fail safe Vega dim down and the global region timers that simulate the light schedule of major reefs around the world. Although the reef sunlight schedule is not a must have for healthy coral growth it has been show that spawning can occur under lighting conditions that more closely mimic the suns patterns.
The fail safe dim down of the AI Vega is particularly important to prevent coral burning if the modules lose wireless communications. The other really cool feature, which AI calls Global Region Timers, is useful for aquarists looking to recreate natural lighting as close to nature as possible. The firmware upgrade mimics lighting conditions in the following 9 regions and a custom option with a touch of a button:
- 1 – Bahamas
- 2- Caribbean
- 3- Fiji
- 4- Florida Keys
- 5- Great Barrier Reef
- 6- Hawaii
- 7- Maldives
- 8- New Caledonia
- 9- Philippines
- 10- Custom
As for the full laundry list of features, here they as presented on the Aqua Illumination Website:
New ControllerFirmware 2.0
We’re pleased to announce the release of a major revision to the New Controller firmware. We’ve listened to our users feedback and are sure we’ve created the best firmware yet.
All the new features:
- Support for PowerPuck™ custom pucks.
- Adds wireless operation for Sol White, Sol Blue, and Nano when used with Wireless Adapter (sold separately – coming soon).
- Supports full sunrise/sunset/cloud sweeps and weather effects for all Sol and Nano models.
- Supports both Sol and Vega models simultaneously (wireless mode) with one controller.
- Fail-safe Vega dim down prevents coral burning if wireless communications fail for an extended period of time.
- Global Region Timers simulates actual sunrise/sunset times of major coral reefs around the world.
- GPS coordinate Timers for automatic local sunrise/sunset tracking.
- Fully automatic sweep speed for up to 30 Vega lighting modules.
- Revamped user interface for easier setup and control.
If you are an AI LED lighting fixture owner or you are considering AI then Aquarium Specialty is here to help. If you are thinking of purchasing a new LED fixture then consider the AI line of aquarium lighting products. We are very pleased with our 3+ years of experience in using the AI products and these new software features make the product line even better than before.